Sex Headaches: What You Need to Know
We have all heard of migraines and tension type headaches but, have you experienced or known someone who has experienced headaches during or after sex?
There is a primary headache disorder termed "orgasmic headache" that occurring during the peak of sex. These headaches are characterized by sudden, severe headache at peak sexual excitement that lasts between a few minutes to hours. It occurs in males more frequently than females. Orgasmic headaches are treatable therefore, it is recommended to schedule a consultation with an experienced neurologist. Many times these headaches are harmless. However, other times it is due to a serious medical condition such as brain aneurysm. Check out the red flags below.
Red Flags: If you are experiencing any of these red flags go seek emergency medical attention.
- Headaches lasting for several hours
- Personal history of brain aneurysm
- Changes in vision (double vision, blurry vision, loss of vision)
- Sudden focal limb weakness
- Altered consciousness or confusion
- Neck stiffness, photophobia, and vomiting
If you are experiencing orgasmic headaches call MIND Neurology Clinic to book a consultation at 281-402-9522.